I was sitting around thinking about mitten patterns (as one does) and listening to Christmas carols. My head filled in the following lyrics:
On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me
Twelve great mitten patterns…
So, without further ado, I present to you twelve great mitten patterns (in no particular order; all links are to Ravelry pattern pages.)
1. Newton’s Mittens, designed by Emily Bujold:
2. Deep in the Forest mittens, designed by Tuulia Samela:
3. Perfect Storm mittens, designed by Kimberly Voisin:
4. 4-11 Mittens, designed by Anna Zilboorg:
5. Paradoxical mittens, designed by Lucy Neatby:
6. Blomst mittens, designed by Tori Seierstad:
7. Wallpaper Mittens, designed by Veronik Avery:
8. Stay Puft mittens (Ghostbuster tribute), designed by Therese Sharp:
9. Golden Light Mittens, designed by Spilly Jane:
10. Freja mittens, designed by Emmy Petersson:
11. Lotus Mittens, designed by Heather Dessurud:
12. Fishbone Mittens, designed by Marit Trudvang:
Looking over this list, I can see a number of dominant themes:
- Colourwork. Every single one of these patterns utilizes colourwork. No Plain Jane mittens for me!
- Whimsy. It is clear that I have a finely tuned sense of the ridiculous.
- Black and white geometrics. Three out of twelve fall into this category; clearly, this is an appealing theme for me.