I have had some ups and downs interrupting my knitting lately. I had ankle pain (down), a busy holiday (up), knitting ennui (down), Christmas celebrations (up), a super intense and stressful work project (down), family board game evenings (up), a flare-up of wrist pain (down), and now, finally, I am settling down and getting some knitting done again.
Because the girls will be heading home next week, I have been concentrating on the pullover for Emma, with the intention of finishing it before she leaves. (You can find sweater details in this earlier post.) Emma’s pullover is worked in an aran weight wool combined with a lace-weight strand of mohair to give a bulky-weight gauge of 13.5 stitches per 4″/10cm. While the fabric it produces is really nice, I find that the process of combining two strands of yarn, one of them mohair, has some inherent technical difficulties. I will be knitting along, and suddenly this happens:
Or maybe this:
I spend as much time untangling the yarns as I do knitting. I secretly suspect that there is an easy way to do this, and I just haven’t figured it out. All the cool knitting kids must have this sorted, as every other sweater I see these days is knit with a strand of mohair thrown in for good measure. (I also secretly suspect this is a plot by yarn companies to make us buy twice as much yarn; I wrote about this previously in this post.)
I am working on the back, which is just a giant rectangle, and with this big yarn and big needles, it should be really fast. The pullover comes in one size only, and that size seems pretty big. Here is Emma (wearing the lovely Tinder cardigan I knit for her a few years ago, blogged here) holding up the mostly finished back:
It is at least twice her size! Nevertheless, I have high hopes that it will look great on her once it’s all pieced together. I’ve just picked up the neckline edging, so I’m getting close. Watch this space!